Thursday, October 9, 2014

Speech Reflection

            There are few things on this Earth that are more difficult to do than to listen to a voice recording of yourself talking or watch a video of yourself giving a speech. It’s often pretty hard to be in control of everything as you’re up there speaking, despite how hard you try. There are simply some things that you will do that you’re completely unaware of until you watch the film. In watching myself present my speech to the class, I was made aware of a couple things that may have possibly hindered my presentation. However, I also found quite a few positives with my presentation and speaking that will keep me confident the next time I need to present something to a group.
            Everyone usually shares one goal as they get ready to go up and present: “Don’t say ‘um’ or ‘uh.’” I am no different; as I prepared myself to go up and present first, I not only wanted to set the bar for the rest of the class, but I also just didn’t want to make myself look stupid. Though it may not necessarily have made me look stupid in front of everyone, I did notice that I said “um” and “uh” quite a few times while I presented, something that I had no idea I was doing. I also stumbled over myself a few times as well. These are things I’ll need to limit and be more in control of next time.

            I did find a lot of positives with my speech though. I think I did a good job with voice inflection, as I changed my tone throughout and did my best to keep everyone engaged. For the most part, it looked like I knew what I was doing up there, and that it wasn’t just some impromptu presentation. Overall, I did about as well as I had hoped for. I gave the speech I wanted to give, and besides the few minor mistakes, I believe I did a pretty good job.

No comments:

Post a Comment